Find information on how our essential services will continue to operate during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Where to get help

    Emergency help

    For urgent assistance when violence is occurring now or when there is an immediate fear of it about to happen, treat is as an emergency and call NSW Police on 000.

    Getting help for victim survivors

    There are many support services in NSW for victims of domestic violence:

    • Child protection
    • Court support
    • Domestic violence advice and referral
    • Financial Assistance
    • Health Services
    • Housing and emergency accommodation
    • Interpreters
    • Legal information and advocacy
    • Sexual Assault
    • Victims assistance

    Child protection

    Child Protection Helpline

    If you are concerned that a child has been abused, or is at risk of being abused, you should contact the Community Services Helpline.

    Phone: 132 111

    Court support

    Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service (WDVCAS)

    WDVCASs provide information, assistance and court advocacy services to women and children experiencing domestic violence. WDVCAS can assist to obtain effective legal protection from NSW Local Courts through applications for Apprehended Domestic Violence Orders.

    You can find out if there is a Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service in your area by contacting WDVCAS on 1800 938 227 or by visiting the WDVCAS service locations page on Legal Aid. 

    Domestic violence advice and referral

    NSW Domestic Violence Line

    The NSW Domestic Violence Line is a free call service that provides support to women – with or without children – who are experiencing partner or ex-partner violence. The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

    All calls to the Domestic Violence Line are answered by female workers.

    Phone: 1800 65 64 63

    Financial assistance

    Department of Human Services

    Department of Human Services can help you with family and domestic concerns and can help you access payments, such as:

    • income support payments
    • Crisis Payment
    • collecting child support

    Social workers

    Social workers in the Department of Human Services will listen to your personal needs and offer you free, private counselling and support. They can also refer you quickly to people who specialise in domestic violence issues and other support services. To arrange to talk to a social worker you can call the Employment Services line on 132 850 or visit your local Service Centre.

    Phone: 132 850 or visit this link to Department of Human Services.

    Indigenous customer service officers

    If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person you may like to talk with someone from a similar cultural background. Centrelink has Indigenous customer service officers to support you. If you live in a remote community you can ring the Indigenous Call Centre on 1800 136 380.

    Phone: 1800 136 380 or visit the Department of Human Services.

    Multilingual Phone Service

    If you come from a multicultural background Centrelink can refer you to culturally appropriate support services. It also has a free interpreter service for interviews with you and translation of your Centrelink documents. You can ring and ask to speak with a Centrelink officer in your language.

    Phone: 131 202 Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm or visit this link to Department of Human Services.

    Other Centrelink numbers

    Customer relations (for complaints, compliments and suggestions).

    Phone: 1800 132 468 or visit this link to Department of Human Services.

    Health services

    Community health centres

    Community health centres provide child and family, sexual assault, drug and alcohol, and mental health services. Contact details are available at:

    Women’s health centres

    Women’s health centres are non-government, community based, feminist services that provide choices for women to meet their individual health needs. A list of women’s health centres in NSW are available on this link.


    Housing and emergency accommodation

    Women’s refuges

    Women’s refuges provide accommodation and support for you and your children if you have escaped domestic and family violence. If you need refuge accommodation, call the NSW Domestic Violence Line. Visit the Family & Community Services (FACS) page to find a women’s refuge in NSW.

    Phone: 1800 656 463

    Men’s accommodation

    Referrals to accommodation providers for single men and men with children are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week through MensLine Australia.

    Phone: 1300 78 99 78

    Link2home Homelessness Information Line

    Link2home Homelessness Information Line is a statewide telephone service providing information, assessment and referral to specialist homelessness services, temporary accommodation and other appropriate services for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

    Open 24/7.
    Phone 1800 152 152

    Staying in your own home

    Some areas of NSW have a Staying Home Leaving Violence program. The aim of the Staying Home Leaving Violence program is to prevent you and your children becoming homeless or having to move away from your support system of family and friends, and the school and community where you live.
    Contact the Family & Community Services Domestic Violence Line to see if there is a Staying Home Leaving Violence program in your area.

    Phone: 1800 65 64 63

    Housing assistance from Family & Community Services (FACS)

    FACS Housing recognises that domestic and family violence has a serious and harmful impact on victims and their families.

    Persons who are affected by domestic violence are considered to be ‘at risk’ and therefore may be eligible for priority housing assistance or Rentstart provided other eligibility criteria are met. They may also be eligible for Rent Choice Start Safely. 

    Family & Community Services Housing Contact Centre

    Contact the Housing Contact Centre for information on housing assistance and Rentstart information.

    Phone: 1800 422 322

    If you are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and wish to speak to an Aboriginal operator, just select the relevant menu option (available Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm.)

    MensLine Australia

    MensLine Australia is the national telephone support, information and referral service for men with family and relationship concerns. The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. MensLine Australia can also provide referrals to face-to-face counselling and support services.

    Phone: 1300 78 99 78


    If an interpreter would be helpful, ring the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450.

    Legal information and advocacy

    LawAccess NSW

    LawAccess NSW provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, legal advice. Call 1300 888 529 to speak to an information officer about your legal problem.
    If you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, contact LawAccess NSW through the National Relay Service and ask for LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529.

    For an interpreter call 131 450 and ask for LawAccess NSW.

    To find information about a wide range of legal topics visit

    Women’s Legal Services NSW – Domestic Violence Legal Service

    The Domestic Violence Legal Service is a specialist legal service for women experiencing domestic and family violence in NSW. Its main objective is to inform women who have experienced violence about their legal rights and to help women obtain access to justice.

    Phone: 02 8745 6999 or 1800 810 784

    Legal Aid NSW

    Legal Aid NSW can help victims of domestic violence with their legal and social needs. Legal Aid NSW can help clients better understand their legal problems and provides free legal advice, casework assistance in a range of legal matters including apprehended domestic violence orders, family law and care and protection matters.

    Phone: 02 9219 6300 (Domestic Violence Unit)

    Wirringa Baiya Aboriginal Women’s Legal Centre

    Wirringa Baiya is a NSW statewide community legal centre for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women, children and youth. Wirringa Baiya provides services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women who are victims of violence, with access to appropriate legal representation, advice and referral. 

    Phone: 02 9569 3847 or 1800 686 587

    Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT

    Aboriginal Legal Service (ALS) provides legal advice and representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in criminal law, family law and children’s care and protection law. They also assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children through representation in court, advice and information, and referral to further support services.

    Phone: 1800 765 767

    Find your local ALS service here.

    Sexual Assault

    NSW Rape Crisis Counselling Service

    NSW Rape Crisis is a nationwide 24/7 telephone and online crisis counselling service for anyone in Australia who has experienced or is at risk of sexual violence, family or domestic violence. Counselling for women who were sexually assaulted in is also available from Women’s Health centres across NSW. 

    Phone: 1800 424 017

    Victims Access Line

    The Victims Access Line (or VAL) is the single entry point for victims of crime in New South Wales to access services. The VAL provides confidential support, referral and information for victims of crime.

    Phone: 1800 633 063
    Victims Services Aboriginal Contact Line
    Confidential enquiry line for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who are victims of crime.

    Phone: 1800 019 123


    1800Respect is the national sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service, available 24 hours a day/seven days a week, that provides service for:

    • People experiencing, or at risk of experiencing, sexual assault, domestic or family violence
    • Their friends and family
    • Workers and professionals supporting someone experiencing, or at risk of experiencing sexual assault, domestic or family violence

    Witness Assistance Service

    The Witness Assistance Service (WAS) assists and supports both victims of crime and vulnerable prosecution witnesses. The WAS assists victims and witnesses in the following ways:

    • providing information about the legal process.
    • providing information about victims’ rights and special provisions for giving evidence.
    • supporting victims and witnesses throughout the prosecution.
    The WAS is part of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

    Phone: 1800 814 534

    Getting help for those who use violence

    There are also support services in NSW for those use violence. Visit our support for men who use violence page for a list of contacts and detailed information on support programs, referral services, counselling and other resources.