Justice Home > Preventing or Reporting Crime > Domestic Violence > About domestic and family violence

Find information on how our essential services will continue to operate during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Where to get help and support


    Emergency help

    For urgent assistance when violence is occurring now or when there is an immediate fear of it about to happen, treat is as an emergency and call 000 – ask for the police.


    If an interpreter would be helpful, ring the following services through the Translating and Interpreting Service.

    Phone: 131 450

    Domestic violence advice and referral

    Domestic Violence Line

    DV Line offers free counselling, information, advice, referral and support, 24 hours a day/seven days a week.

    Phone: 1800 656 463

    MensLine Australia

    MensLine is the national telephone support, information and referral service for men with family and relationship concerns. The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. MensLine Australia can also provide referrals to face-to-face counselling and support services.

    Phone: 1300 789 978

    Website: www.menslineaus.org.au

    Child protection

    Child Protection Helpline

    If you are concerned that a child has been abused, or is at risk of being abused, you should contact the Community Services Helpline.

    Phone: 132 111

    Court Support

    Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service

    The service provides court support, advocacy, referrals and information. If you are making a private application for an ADVO, the service can also arrange someone to represent you in court to make it easier for you to get protection orders. You can find out if there is a Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service in your area on LawAccess Phone: 1300 888 529

    Legal Aid NSW Website: www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au and go to > get legal help > specialist services. 

    Health Services

    Community health centres

    Community health centres provide child and family, sexual assault, drug and alcohol, and mental health services. Contact details are available at:

    Website: www.health.nsw.gov.au/services

    Women’s health centres

    Women’s health centres are non-government, community based, feminist services that provide choices for women to meet their individual health needs. A list of women’s health centres in NSW is available at:

    Website: www.whnsw.asn.au

    Housing and emergency accommodation

    Women’s refuges

    Women’s refuges provide accommodation and support for you and your children if you have escaped domestic and family violence. If you need refuge accommodation call the Community Services’ 24 hour Domestic Violence Line.

    Phone: 1800 656 463

    Men’s accommodation

    Referrals to accommodation providers for single men and men with children are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week through MensLine Australia.

    Phone: 1300 789 978

    Homeless Persons Information Centre

    The Homeless Persons Information Centre (HPIC) is a telephone information and referral service for men, women and families who need emergency accommodation. HPIC is open seven days a week from 9am to 10pm (Closed 1pm to 2pm)

    Phone: 02 9265 9087 or 1800 234 566

    Staying in your own home

    Some areas of NSW have a Staying Home Leaving Violence project. This program provides support and assistance to women who prefer to remain safely in their own home, without the abusive person. Contact the Community Services DV Line to see if there is a Staying Home Leaving Violence project in your area.

    Phone: 1800 656 463

    Housing assistance from Housing NSW

    Housing NSW offers a range of services for victims of domestic and family violence. Rentstart is available for eligible clients to help them access and stay in accommodation in the private rental market. This financial assistance may help you with a bond or advance rent.

    Housing assistance options available include subsidised rental housing in public, community or Aboriginal housing. Priority is given to those in greatest need.

    Start Safely is a rent subsidy that gives you financial help if you have experienced domestic or family violence so you can secure private rental accommodation and do not have to return to your home. Eligible clients may get this assistance for up to 12 months.

    A Mortgage Assistance Scheme provides short-term help if you have difficulties with home loan repayments.

    For more information contact:

    Housing Contact Centre

    For information about housing assistance from Housing NSW available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

    Phone: 1300 468 746

    After hours temporary accommodation

    Available from 4:30pm to 10pm weekdays and 10am to 10pm on weekends and public holidays.

    Phone: 1800 152 152

    Website: www.housing.nsw.gov.au

    Legal information and advocacy

    LawAccess NSW

    LawAccess provides legal information, advice, referrals and other services such as Legal Aid NSW or community legal centres.

    Phone: 1300 888 529

    If you are Deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, you can contact us through the National Relay Service (NRS). Ask for LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529.

    Website: www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au

    Women’s Legal Services NSW – Domestic Violence Advocacy Service

    The Domestic Violence Advocacy Service (DVAS) is a specialised legal service for women experiencing domestic violence, providing casework, legal advice and advocacy.

    Phone: 02 8745 6999 or 1800 810 784

    Website: www.womenslegalnsw.asn.au

    Legal Aid NSW

    Legal Aid provides legal representation and information for eligible people in NSW.

    Phone: 02 9219 5028

    Website: www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au

    Wirringa Baiya Aboriginal Women’s Legal Centre

    Wirringa Baiya is a community legal centre for Aboriginal women, children and youth living in New South Wales. Wirringa Baiya focuses on issues relating to violence against Aboriginal women, children and youth.

    Phone: 02 9569 3847 or 1800 686 587

    Website: www.wirringabaiya.org.au

    Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT

    Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) has 22 offices in towns across NSW and ACT. They provide legal advice and representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in criminal law and children’s care and protection. They refer family law and civil law matters to alternative legal service providers and appropriate agencies.

    Phone: 02 8303 6699

    Website: www.alsnswact.org.au

    Financial Assistance

    ​For detailed information about ​adva​​​nced payment options, follow this link.


    Centrelink can offer you support, specialist services and payments. Staff will:

    • work out what payments, allowances, assistance and benefits you can get to support yourself and your children
    • get you a crisis payment or early payments
    • look at other ways to make sure you are safe and protect your privacy
    • tell you about other domestic violence support services.

    Crisis payments

    Crisis payments may be available for victims of domestic and family violence. Call Centrelink to find out if you are eligible. It is important to apply immediately. 

    Phone: 136 240 or follow this link.

    Social workers

    Social workers in Centrelink will listen to your personal needs and offer you counselling and support. They can also refer you quickly to people who specialise in domestic violence issues and other support services. To arrange to talk to a social worker you can call or visit your local Centrelink Customer Service Centre.

    Phone: 136 240 or follow this link.

    Indigenous customer service officers

    If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person you may like to talk with someone from a similar cultural background. Centrelink has Indigenous customer service officers to support you. If you live in a remote community you can ring the Indigenous Call Centre.

    Phone: 136 240 or follow this link.

    Family Assistance Multilingual Service

    If you come from a multicultural background Centrelink can refer you to culturally appropriate support services. It also has a free interpreter service for interviews with you and translation of your Centrelink documents. You can ring and ask to speak with a Centrelink officer in your language.

    Phone: 136 240 or follow this link.

    Employment Services Line

    You may find it difficult to get work because you need to update your skills, have young children to look after or other personal issues. Senior customer service advisers can help you get support, education or training, or work towards getting a job. For more information visit your local Centrelink Customer Service Centre.

    Phone: 136 240 or follow this link.

    Other Centrelink numbers

    Customer relations (for complaints, compliments and suggestions).

    Phone: 136 240 or follow this link.

    Sexual Assault

    NSW Rape Crisis Centre

    A statewide 24 hours a day/seven days a week telephone and online crisis counselling service for anyone affected by sexual violence, and trauma counselling for women who were sexually assaulted when they were children.

    Phone: 1800 424 017

    Website: www.nswrapecrisis.com.au

    Victims assistance

    Victims Access Line

    Confidential support, referral and information for victims of crime.

    Phone: 1800 633 063

    Victims Services Aboriginal Contact Line

    Confidential enquiry line for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who are victims of crime.

    Phone: 1800 019 123

    Witness Assistance Service

    Helps with information, court preparation, coordinating court support and follow-up after court for prosecution witnesses or victims of crime appearing in the District Court. The WAS is part of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

    Phone: 02 9285 2502 or 1800 814 534